Light truck sales drive gains for California’s new vehicle market

Sacramento, Calif.—The California New Car Dealers Association (CNCDA) reported impressive gains in California’s new vehicle market.  Nearly 533,000 new vehicles were registered during the second quarter of 2015 with light truck sales boasting a 19-percent increase over the same time last year.  “California dealers have already sold more than a million cars this year, more than all of 2009, and the momentum is expected to continue into 2016,” said Dave Moeller, of City Toyota and South Bay Honda, CNCDA chairman.

While Toyota continues to dominate the new vehicle market, the Honda Civic remains the best-selling model across the state.  Tesla sales have increased, but the all-electric luxury car still only makes up 0.5 percent of new vehicle sales in California.  Overall, new hybrid registrations (excluding plug-ins) are down year to year; plug-ins (hybrids) are also down 1.2 percent while electric vehicles ticked up a notch to 1.7 percent.

California’s overall used vehicle market increased by less than 1 percent.  Only sales of vehicles three years old or newer increased versus the same time last year.  Private party sales continue to account for more than half of all used car transactions.  Franchised dealers’ sales of used vehicles remains above 20 percent.

Parts & People

Parts & People is published monthly by Automotive Counseling and Publishing Company, Inc., a Colorado corporation, P.O. Box 18731 Denver, CO 80203, 303-765-4664. President-Lance Buchner. Founded by Lance Buchner and Dave Lucia.